Waddington in St. Lawrence County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Village of Waddington
Walking Tour Route
— Architecture of the Coast —
Raised on Waterpower
Waddington was settled by early industrialists, here to harness the power of the St. Lawrence River. Many of the buildings in the village center today stand as tributes to the success of those early entrepreneurs.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church (12) The oldest church building north of the Mohawk River. Built 1816-1818.
Town Hall (15) The beautiful stonework was crafted by Isaac Johnson, a freed negro slave. Built in 1884.
Hepburn Library (18) A fine example of Beaux Arts Classicism with Greek columns and Palladian windows. Built 1919.
Jefferson Bank (28) Indiana limestone was used for the trim work. Original teller cages still in place. Built in 1919.
Walking Tour Highlights
1 Ogden Hired Help's Residence.
2 Tomilson House, Native Limestone.
3 Thompson House, Queen Anne Style.
4 Colvin House, Georgian Style.
5 Ogden Worker's Residence.
6 Residences demolished.
7 Hosea Fenton House, c. 1850.
8 Residence, Greek Revival Details.
9 Presbyterian Church, 1849.
10 Ogden Land Office, c. 1820.
11 St. Mary's Catholic Church, Rebuilt 1923.
12 St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 1816-1818.
13 Methodist Church, 1854.
14 Residence, Greek Revival Details.
15 Town Hall, 1884.
16 Residence, Brick, c. 1840.
17 James L. Thayer House, c. 1850.
18 Hepburn Library.
19 Residence, Victorian Ecclectic Style, c. 1887.
20 Residence, Italianate/Early Victorian Style, 1870.
21 Residence, Jerkinhead Roof, c. 1860.
22 Taylor House, a fine Hostelry.
23 George Redington House, Native Stone.
24 Harper's Dry Goods Store, 1880.
25 St. Lawrence Hotel, c. 1900.
26 J.P. Murphy House, 1831.
27 Masonic Building, 1875.
28 Jefferson Bank, 1919.
29 Residence, Brick, c. 1860.
30 Seth Dewey/Carlisle House, C. 1830.
31 David Ogden 'Cottage'.
32 Early St. Paul's Rectory, now a private residence.
The name shown is the original builder or owner. Most of the buildings are privately owned, please respect the rights of the owners.
Seaway Trail, Inc., Corner Ray & West Main St., Sackets Harbor, NY 13685 1-800-SEAWAY-T. This exhibit made possible by a grant from FHWA to Seaway Trail, Inc. Waddington Mayor: Elizabeth J. Phillips.
Erected by Seaway Trail, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway series list.
Location. 44° 51.799′ N, 75° 12.166′ W. Marker is in Waddington, New York, in St. Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Lincoln Avenue (New York State Route 37), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waddington NY 13694, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul's Episcopal Church (here, next to this marker); Waddington Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); In Loving Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice (within shouting distance of this marker); George Redington House (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Power (approx. 0.2 miles away); The SS Mary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ogden Island Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); The Williamsburg Canals (approx. 2.4 miles away in Canada). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waddington.
More about this marker. An identical twin marker is located along the public parking area at the shoreline: 44.865487N, 75.205868W.
Regarding Village of Waddington. From NorthCountyNow.com: State to pay $100,000 for improvements to historic
WADDINGTON -- The state is paying $100,000 for improvements at the Clark House in downtown Waddington.
Clark House Preservation Inc., which oversees the building, has invested over $300,000 in private donations and donated services to begin restoring the historic inn on Main Street. Improvements over the past decade have included new windows, foundation repairs, the addition of a steel support structure to stabilize the basement and second floor, and other improvements to prevent the building from collapsing, according to Sen. Patty Ritchie, R-Heuvelton, who announced the funding.
Built in 1893, the Clark House was the village’s major downtown hotel until it became vacant and was in danger of being demolished due to it being a safety hazard. In 1997, the building was acquired by a group of concerned citizens who formed the non-profit, community-based group Clark House Preservation Inc., which is working to restore the historic building, Ritchie’s news release said.
“Saving Waddington’s most important historic landmark is vital to our long-term effort to revitalize downtown and bring new businesses, jobs and possibilities to our riverfront community,” Russell Strait, president of Clark House Preservation Inc., said in a prepared statement. “Thank
"Clark House is a tremendous part of the revival of Waddington's downtown and we can't thank Senator Ritchie enough for securing this funding, which will help us continue to develop this historic landmark," Waddington Mayor Janet Otto-Cassada said in the release.
“Twenty years ago, a small group of citizens decided to take on the challenge of saving their downtown by trying to preserve an important piece of their history—a 100-year-old hotel that had once served as a stagecoach stop, a place for weary travelers and the focal point of Waddington,” Ritchie said in a prepared statement.
Also see . . . Waddington Historic District - Wikipedia. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Submitted on December 5, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 377 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on December 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 16. submitted on December 5, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 17, 18, 19. submitted on December 4, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28. submitted on December 5, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.