Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Tallahassee Democrat
Florida's capital has never been without an alert, vigorous press. Tallahassee's first newspaper, the Florida Intelligencer, was founded on February 19, 1825, nine months before the city was incorporated. The Tallahassee Democrat traces its ancestry to March 3, 1905, when John G. Collins founded his Weekly True Democrat. He explained the name showed dedication to "true and tried doctrines of the Old Time Democracy...as distinguished from...mischievous...fads and fallacies of the day." Collins sold the
newspaper to Milton A. Smith in 1908. On April 6, 1915, Smith changed its name to the Daily Democrat. Lloyd C. Griscom became owner in 1929, and Knight Newspapers, Inc., purchased it on March 1, 1965. The structure you see is the newspaper's third plant, opened in May, 1968. Earlier plants were located at 115 S. Adams and 100 E. Call St.
Erected 1982 by the Tallahassee Democrat in cooperation with
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1892.
Location. 30° 26.769′ N, 84° 15.701′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is on North Magnolia Drive, 0.1 miles south of East Tennessee Street (U.S. 90), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 277 North Magnolia Drive, Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leon High School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Erno Dohnanyi Residence/Dohnányi Erno ház (approx. 0.8 miles away); De Soto Winter Encampment Site 1539~1540 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Land of the Apalachee (approx. 0.8 miles away); His Dream Dies With Him (approx. 0.8 miles away); Governor John W. Martin House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Goodwood (approx. 0.8 miles away); Goodwood Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tallahassee.
More about this marker. This marker is a replacement for marker # F-152, installed in 1968 but damaged and replaced with this marker in 2011, although with new information.
Also see . . . Tallahassee Democrat Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.