Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Baptist Church

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker, Side One image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
1. First Baptist Church Marker, Side One
Inscription.  This congregation, founded in 1794 and long known as Antipedo Baptist Church, was the first separate Baptist congregation in Georgetown. Baptists had worshipped in the area as early as 1710, sharing the Black Mingo Meeting House with Presbyterians and later sharing the Old Brick Church with other denominations during the period when the Church of England was the only officially-recognized church in South Carolina.

Antipedo Baptist Church was located on Church St. by 1804. A later sanctuary, on Lot 130 on Highmarket St., was renamed First Baptist Church of Georgetown in 1911 and was occupied until 1915. First Baptist Church has occupied three sanctuaries on this site: the first 1915–1949, the second 1949-1996, and the present sanctuary, which was completed in 1997.
 
Erected 1997 by First Baptist Church. (Marker Number 22-42.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
 
Location. 33° 22.324′ N, 79° 17.186′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Georgetown County. Marker is at the intersection of Highmarket Street and Cleland Street, on the right when traveling east on Highmarket Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 Cleland St, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winyah Schools (within shouting distance of this marker); Bethesda Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mount Olive Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Potter's Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); James A. Bowley (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howard School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Stewart House (approx. ¼ mile away); Kaminski House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
2. First Baptist Church Marker
First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
3. First Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,228 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photograph of the sanctuary • Better photo of the building • Period photos of the previous buildings • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7953

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024