Wharton State Forest-Pinelands National Reserve
The porch columns, made of cast iron water pipes, were likely made at Weymouth Furnace, another iron furnace owned by Richards. Inside, a large center hall connects the north door, the carriage entrance, and the south porch.
Off the hallway are large rooms with marble fireplaces. Each of the 14 rooms in the mansion has its own fireplace. Cooking and food preparation were done in the cellar where there is an eight-food open hearth fireplace. The cool cellar also included a meat room and milk room to help keep provisions fresh.
In 1954 the State of New Jersey purchased the mansion as part of what is now Wharton State Forest.
(Inscription under the photos in the upper center)
Samuel Richards (1769-1842) and wife, Anna Marie Richards (1763-1860). Miniatures by George Hewitt Cushman (Courtesy of the late
(Inscriptions under the photos in the lower part)
The mansion was in dire disrepair before the State of New Jersey took ownership.----Look for the date 1826 on the downspouts.---Note the cast iron fireplace liner this both decorative and improves heating efficiency.----Floor plan part of the Insurance Company of North America’s 1870 policy. (Courtesy ACE Group).---Louvered doors and panels provided both privacy and ventilation.----Below the elegant rooms of the first floor, the cellar was bustling with activity—servants preparing meals and seeing to all the household needs of family and guests.—Photographs courtesy of NJ Division of Parks & Forestry.
The New Jersey Division of Parks & Forestry, the Pinelands Commission, and the National Park Service are working together to “enhance public understanding, awareness, and appreciation of natural and cultural resources” of the Pinelands National Reserve.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior, State of New Jersey Division of Parks & Foresty, State of New Jersey Pinelands Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1826.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Atsion Church & Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Story Of Atsion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pic-A-Lilli Inn (approx. 1.3 miles away); Sawmill (approx. 3.7 miles away); Meeting House (approx. 3.7 miles away); Country Store (approx. 3.7 miles away); Brainerd (approx. 3.7 miles away); Treaty Tree (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shamong.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.