Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near L'Anse-au-Loup in Division No. 10 (Labrador), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Atlantic Provinces
 

The Marconi Station

Lighthouse Trail

 
 
The Marconi Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 27, 2014
1. The Marconi Station Marker
Captions: Floorplan of the Marconi Station 1922-1946.; The Point Amour Marconi Station in the 1930s. During the summer months at least three operators were need to keep up with the number of messages being sent and received.
Inscription.  The concret ruins which you see here are the remains of the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Station that was built in 1904. Originally constructed for the benefit of trans-Atlantic shipping, the telegraph station became the first major communication link between the Labrador Straits and the rest of the world.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications.
 
Location. 51° 27.666′ N, 56° 51.454′ W. Marker is near L'Anse-au-Loup, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 10 (Labrador). Marker is on L'Anse Amour Branch Road just from Trans-Labrador Highway (Newfoundland and Labrador Route 510). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: L'Anse-au-Loup, Newfoundland and Labrador A0K 3L0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 21 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Diaphone (within shouting distance of this marker); L’Anse Amour Burial (approx. 2.2 kilometers away); Thrombolites or Living Rocks (approx. 20.4 kilometers away).
 
Additional keywords. lighthouse
The Marconi Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 27, 2014
2. The Marconi Station Marker
 
View from the lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, June 27, 2014
3. View from the lighthouse
The marker is located at the parking lot.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 9, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 2, 2020