New London in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Origin Of Crow River Dam and Mills
1858 A natural waterfall was discovered by pioneer Larson while on a hunting and trapping expedition three miles upriver from Nest Lake.
1859 Larson established a camp near the falls but had to abandon it when his tent and most of his gear burned.
1862 Larson and partner, Samuel Stoner, built a cabin and drew up plans for a dam and mill. Charles Sperry, a millwright began construction; but on August 17th the Sioux Indian War broke out and the men had to flee to safety.
1863 Larson and Stoner returned to the washed-out site after the Sioux Uprising had ended.
1864 The dam was rebuilt and a saw mill was completed by the same two pioneers.
1865 Samuel Stoner sold his share in the mill to William Bissett.
1866 1866 The dam washed out again and Mr. Bissett sold his share to C.J. Sperry and William Wright. Louis Larson sold half of his share to Samuel Adams.
1867 The new company rebuilt the dam and added a grist mill operated by three pair of donkeys.
1870 Wright sold his share to Adams.
1882 After Adams died,
1892 Marcus Johnson and W.J. Pinney purchased the mill. First pioneer Louis Larson retired.
1897 The New London Milling Company flourished. Its main product, Supremo Flour, was exported to both domestic and foreign markets.
1939 The New London Mill was sold and demolished to make room for the Federal Fish Hatchery.
2011 The Minnesota DNR constructed the new dam.
Location. 45° 18.017′ N, 94° 56.648′ W. Marker is in New London, Minnesota, in Kandiyohi County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street South (State Highway 9) and 1st Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling south on Main Street South. The Crow River Dam and Mills monument is the southernmost monument of five granite monuments located at New London Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 Main Street South, New London MN 56273, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early History of New London (here, next to this marker); Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Robert lhlang Post 537, The American Legion (here, next to this marker); Federal Fish Hatchery Lundborg-Broberg State Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); The West Lake Massacre (approx. ¼ mile away); This Historical Inclosure (approx. ¼ mile away); Little Crow's Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New London.
More about this marker. The year 1866 is noted twice – perhaps a craftsman's error.
Also see . . .
1. New London Memorial Park. City of New London, Minnesota. (Submitted on December 11, 2014.)
2. New London Dam Reconstruction. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. "In early 2010, the project was advertised for construction and Lunda Construction Co., based out of Black River Falls, Wisconsin, was the successful low bidder with a bid of $2,615,000." (Submitted on December 11, 2014.)
3. New London, Minnesota. Roots & Routes. "New London, Minnesota is the oldest town in Kandiyohi County. It had its pioneer beginnings in 1850, when Louis Larson discovered a waterfall while out on a trapping expedition and visualized a mill.... Larson later named the place for his old home town - New London, Wisconsin." (Submitted on December 11, 2014.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Origin Of Crow River Dam and Mills.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 11, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.