Exley in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1820, the methodist Church was organized at Goshen, under the direction of the Rev. James O. Andrew, and was allowed to use the Goshen church edifice. The actual deed to the property was transferred to the Methodist Conference several years later. Among the first members of the Goshen Methodist Church were: David Gougle and his daughters; Mrs. Nowlan, wife of Major Nowlan; Major and Mrs. John Charlton.
The Rev. Lewis Myers moved to Goshen about 1823, and served the Methodist Church here for many years.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 051-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1751.
Location. 32° 15.034′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rincon GA 31326, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Village of Abercorn (approx. 1.3 miles away); Houston Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Historic Ship Anchor (approx. 3.2 miles away); Richmond Baptist Church (approx. 3˝ miles away); Mulberry Grove Plantation (approx. 5 miles away); Washington's Southern Tour (approx. 5 miles away); Purrysburg Township (approx. 6.6 miles away in South Carolina); Atlantic Coastal Highway Through Georgia (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Also see . . . The Salzburgers and Their Descendants. A book by Philip A. Strobel, written in 1855, may have been the source for the information on this marker. (Submitted on May 27, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.