“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Haddon Heights in Camden County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Crystal Lake

Haddon Heights-1907 Atlas

Crystal Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 29, 2014
1. Crystal Lake Marker
Inscription.  Until the 1930s, a small body of water known a Crystal Lake graced the western end of Station Avenue in Haddon Heights. It was framed by North and South Park Avenues and served as the terminus (and namesake) for Lake Street. This lake was created by the damming of Kings Run, the waterway which becomes the southern branch of Newton Creek, and served as the dividing line between Haddon and Centre Townships until the Borough of Haddon Heights was created from them in 1904. European settlements began in this area in 1682 with six Quaker families dividing what was then Newton Township. Four early farmhouse remain in Haddon Heights; the Hinchman-Hurley-Lippincott House at 1089 North Park Drive (built c.1699), the Colonel Joseph Ellis House at 1009 Sycamore Street (built c.1710); the John Thorn Glover House at 1212 Sylvan Drive (built before 1750); and the Isaac Glove House at 1908 New Jersey Avenue (built c.1750).

Crystal Lake was a popular site for swimming and ice skating, especially among youngsters. Many older residents of the area have childhood memories of summers skinny-dipping and winter days spent gliding on its surface and then warming

Crystal Lake Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 29, 2014
2. Crystal Lake Marker
themselves by bonfires near its banks. In the center of the lake was a tiny island with four swamp willow trees that provided shade for summer picnics. Surrounding the lake were grassy banks punctuated by groves of mature native trees. In the 18th and 19th centuries, King’s Run provided water to the Glover Fulling Milling pond, downstream in the area currently between the bridge at Glover Avenue and the Haddon Heights Dell. Crystal Lake served as the background for a photograph of the first car in Haddon Heights, 1904 U.S. Long Distance Runabout owned by Mr. Luke Moore.

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) drained the lake in the 1930s and removed many of the trees. Much of the new dry land eventually became part of the Camden County Park system, as it remains to this day. A rough outline of the lake can still be discerned if one considers the bowl-like terrain that the landscape assumes just behind the War Memorial at the foot of the park.
Erected by Haddon Heights Historical Society in Memory of Lynn Laitman.
Location. 39° 52.728′ N, 75° 3.816′ W. Marker is in Haddon Heights, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is on South Park Avenue. The marker is located in Haddon Lake Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Haddon Heights NJ 08035, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of

World War II Memorial in the Park image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 29, 2014
3. World War II Memorial in the Park
this marker, measured as the crow flies. Glover Fulling Mill & Kings Run (approx. half a mile away); A Tribute to Audubon's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jarena Lee (approx. 1˝ miles away); Saddler’s Woods (approx. 1.6 miles away); King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Story of the Peter Mott House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Hadrosaurus foulkii (approx. 2 miles away); The Hadrosaurus foulkii Sculpture (approx. 2 miles away).
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers

More. Search the internet for Crystal Lake.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement