St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The 1910 Mary Peck House
Constructed shortly after the turn-of-the-century near the Castillo del San Marcos, the Mary Peck House has undergone nearly as many changes as the post-Flagler period St. Augustine in which it was built. In the past century, the street in front of the house in its original location changed from a sleepy little dirt road into a heavily traveled four-lane street through the historic district. The name of the street has been altered too, from Fort Marion Circle to Castillo Drive. The house has seen its porches removed, walls added, and paint colors changed many times in the last century. An interesting feature of the house is a back porch built of “boxcar” beaded board siding.
The woman for whom the house is named was Mary LaVerne Peck, a lifelong resident of St. Augustine who worked as a tour guide in the historic district. In the early morning of November 18, 2004, the Mary Peck House was moved to this location to make room for the City of St. Augustine’s expansion of their Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum. Historic Tours of America, is restoring the former residence as a house museum for Old Town St. Augustine visitors.
We look forward to opening this historic house for your next visit to Old Town St. Augustine.
Historic Tours of America has been saving historic Florida buildings from the wrecking balls since 1973. This restoration is part of our ongoing commitment to Florida’s Heritage.
Erected by Historic Tours of America.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is November 18, 2004.
Location. 29° 54.465′ N, 81° 19.108′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County. Marker can be reached from San Marco Avenue (Business U.S. 1) 0.1 miles south of May Street (State Road A1A). Marker (and subject building) are located behind the Old Jail building on the grounds of the Old Jail Museum complex. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 167 San Marco Avenue, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old St. Johns County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Spreading the Wealth Since 1900 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 1870 Hildreth House (about 300 feet away); Walk to Freedom (about 300 feet away); Arriving in Style (about 400 feet away); Viva Cuba! (about 400 feet away); Up in Smoke (about 400 feet away); Chain Gangs (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on December 16, 2014, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 15, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.