The Purple Heart
The Purple Heart medal was originated by General George Washington on August 7, 1782 for distinguished valor and is now awarded only to members of the armed forces of the United States who have been wounded in combat against an armed enemy.
Recipients of this unique award have been specifically honored by the U.S. Congress as a chartered fraternal organization known as the Military Order of the Purple Heart and have active members in chapters throughout the United States and the world.
Erected by Nebraska Chapters, Military Order of the Purple Heart.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • War, Korean • War, Vietnam • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Military Order of the Purple Heart series list.
Location. 40° 49.302′ N, 98° 17.707′ W. Marker is near Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Memorial is on Interstate 80 at milepost 316.5, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grand Island (a few steps from this marker); The Mormon Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Sinclair Tank Wagon, 1917 (approx. 4˝ miles away); Earth Lodge Design and Construction (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Pawnee: Prairie Town Builders, Pawnee History (approx. 5.9 miles away); Old California Overland Trail (approx. 5.9 miles away); a different marker also named Mormon Trail (approx. 5.9 miles away); La Grande Isle (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Island.
Also see . . . History of the Purple Heart. (Submitted on December 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.