First Buffalo County Court House
On Oct. 10, 1871 the Buffalo County seat was by vote located at Gibbon.
On this site was built the first Buffalo County Courthouse in 1873. Hand made brick in base, made from local clay is from this courthouse razed in 1909.
On Oct. 13, 1874 the Buffalo County seat was by vote relocated at Kearny. Hand hewn stone in base is from the Kearney Courthouse razed in 1975.
Plaque erected by Exchange Bank, Gibbon
Stone and brick by Gage Vohland and A.W. Skeen Families
Location. 40° 44.81′ N, 98° 50.733′ W. Marker is in Gibbon, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street (State Highway 10C) and 2nd Street, on the left when traveling south on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Gibbon Heritage Center, Gibbon NE 68840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gibbon (a few steps from this marker); Memorial Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); The Soldiers Free Homestead Colony (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nebraska Centre - Boyd Ranche
Also see . . .
1. History of Gibbon, Nebraska. (Submitted on December 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Buffalo County NE Historical Information. (Submitted on December 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for First Buffalo County Court House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 313 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 17, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.