Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Thornton's Store
By 1937 Thornton’s filled an entire block of Oak Street, adding a café, a beauty shop, and shoe department. In 1941 a franchise for selling new Studebaker cars was added. The one-story properties were renovated in 1947 into a four-story structure of more than 100,000 square feet. Thornton’s was famous for its Christmas displays. In 1959 the largest fire in Abilene’s gutted the Thornton property. Reconstruction began at once.
After the deaths of E.L. Thornton in 1964 and his son Charles Eugene Thornton in 1965, surviving family members sold their interests to a chain store based in St. Louis. Thornton’s continued in business
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4900.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 32° 26.714′ N, 99° 43.961′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of Oak Street and S. 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on Oak Street. Marker is located next to sidewalk at the southeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abilene TX 79602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 45th Infantry Division at Camp Barkeley (within shouting distance of this marker); "I Shall Never Surrender or Retreat" (within shouting distance of this marker); Honoring E Battery Lost Battalion WWII (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Taylor County Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Site of Curfew by John J. Clinton (approx. ¼ mile away); The Texas & Pacific Railway (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pine Street Shootout (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
Regarding Site of Thornton's Store. The Thornton's store building built in the early 1960's was renovated in 1988 into the
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 18, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.