Niagara Falls in Niagara Region, Ontario — Central Canada
Toronto Power Generating Station
La centrale Électrique de la Toronto Power
Inaugurée en 1906 pour servir la région de Toronto, cette centrale fut la première installation hydroélectrique construite à Niagara Falls apparent à un lieu difficile, les ingénieurs y adaptèrent avec audace des techniques européennes et américaines d’avant-garde. La magnifique usine, conçue par l’éminent architecte torontois E. J. Lennox, cadre avec la beauté des lieux. Avec son plan symétrique, ses colonnes et son revêtement de pierre calcaire, elle offre un exemple original d’un bâtiment industriel de style Beaux-Arts. Achetée par la société
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada • Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 43° 4.322′ N, 79° 4.452′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, Ontario, in Niagara Region. Marker is at the intersection of Niagara Parkway, on the right when traveling north on Niagara Parkway. It is just south of the Floral Showhouse and south of Table Rock Welcome Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7230 Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls ON L0S 1A0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burch’s Mill (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Niagara Park Greenhouses (about 210 meters away); Stranded Scow (about 240 meters away); Wm. B. Rankine (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Bridgewater Mills (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Niagara Parks Commission / Commission Des Parcs Du Niagara (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Niagara Falls Park and River Railway Powerhouse (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); José María Heredia (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
Regarding Toronto Power Generating Station. The turbines at this station were designed for 25
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia Entry. “The plant is built on top of a deep wheel pit, with turbines at the bottom of the pit, turning generators at the top by means of long vertical shafts. The water from the turbines runs out through a brick lined tailrace which eventually comes out at the base of the falls. In its prime, it had a generating capacity of 137,500 horsepower or 102,500 kW.” (Submitted on December 19, 2014.)
2. Entry at InvisibleThreads.com. Photos of the interior of this building. “By far the most beautiful abandoned building I've visited was this one. Unlike other large industrial buildings, this was no large homogeneous box. This had a sense of design — an architectural vision.” (Submitted on December 19, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on December 19, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.