Near Lafayette in Nicollet County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Bernadotte Lutheran Church
Organized 4 May 1866 at Magnus Peterson home, Pastor John Pehrson, by Swedish settlers, 21 charter families, 104 families by 1870. Commemorated on native stone, set in 1937.
First worship in homes, in school-house No. 26; first church built by Fredrick Webster, 1872, Pastor C. M. Ryden; present sanctuary 1897, Pastor N. O. Grunden.
The name Bernadotte is of French origin, King Charles XIV, ruling house in Sweden since 1810. Visit here by Count and Countess Folke Bernadotte 1933.
Centennial observed year-long 1966.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the The Spirit of ’76, America’s Bicentennial Celebration series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 4, 1866.
Location. 44° 27.291′ N, 94° 18.103′ W. Marker is near LafayetteTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 34122 515th Avenue, Lafayette MN 56054, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bernadotte Lutheran Church Monument (a few steps from this marker); Bernadotte Co-op Creamery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lafayette Township and Village (approx. 4.6 miles away); New Sweden Creamery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Eagle City, Minnesota (approx. 6.7 miles away); Sibley County, Minnesota Veterans Memorial (approx. 7 miles away); District 6 School (approx. 7.1 miles away); Brighton (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lafayette.
Additional keywords. Fields of Grace Parish
Credits. This page was last revised on August 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 20, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.