Sterling in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First settlement made here
1805 by Peter Dumas, a
soldier with Lafayette.
Earlier called Coopers
Mills after John Cooper 1810
Erected 1935 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 20.931′ N, 76° 37.776′ W. Marker is in Sterling, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 104A and MacNeil Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 104A. Marker is at the south end of a small bridge over Sterling Valley Creek. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sterling NY 13156, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of First Baptist Church of Sterling (approx. 1.7 miles away); Town of Sterling (approx. 1.8 miles away); Railway Signal Tower (approx. 1.9 miles away); School House Built 1825 (approx. 1.9 miles away); George E. Ingersol Honoring All Men and Women (approx. 4.4 miles away); Site of Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Little Sodus Bay (Fair Haven) (approx. 4˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sterling.
Also see . . . Sterling Historical Society. (Submitted on December 20, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 20, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.