Gatesville in Gates County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Reid's Grove School
Still on its original site, the Reid's Grove School educated African American students in the Gatesville area. Completed on November 5, 1927 and closed in 1951, it was one of seven schools in Gates County (and one of over 800 in North Carolina) financed by Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Company, to educate blacks students during segregation. The building later housed the local North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service office for African Americans and was renamed the Mitchell Building in honor of the Howard Mitchell, the state's first black extension agent.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 36° 25.125′ N, 76° 45.454′ W. Marker is in Gatesville, North Carolina, in Gates County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 37) half a mile south of Alternate U.S. 158, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gatesville NC 27938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Gates County Courthouse (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gates County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.1 miles away); William P. Roberts (approx. 1.1 miles away); Burning of Winton (approx. 9.8 miles away); Hertford County WWI Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away); a different marker also named Burning of Winton (approx. 9.9 miles away); Hertford County UDC Monument (approx. 9.9 miles away); Chowan Academy (approx. 10.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gatesville.
Categories. • African Americans • Agriculture • Education •
More. Search the internet for Reid's Grove School.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 340 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 21, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.