In Full Glory
Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
— War of 1812 —
Quirk of History
-Both the original Star-Spangled Banner flag and manuscript spent time in residences on West Monument Street. Major George Armistead’s heirs retained the flag, heirs of Judge Joseph Nicholson (Key’s brother-in-law) retained the manuscript—each in family ownership for 93 years
“Just a look at his manuscript should make better Americans of all who behold it. May it ever be a reminder of the heroism and patriotism of the defenders of Fort McHenry in 1814.”
Mayor Thomas D’Alesandro at the rededication of Key’s manuscript, Maryland Historical Society, September 14 1954.
(Inscription below the painting on the left)
(Inscription below the photo in the upper center)
“Old Defenders of the Battle of Baltimore,” gathering in 1876 for the nation’s centennial. Image/Courtesy Maryland Historical Society Founded in 1844, the Maryland Historical Society displays artifacts and documents acquired from War of 1812 veterans.
(Inscription beside the photo on the right)
Maryland Historical Society holds the earliest known manuscript for what became the national anthem of the United States, written by Francis Scott Key in 1814. Image/Courtesy Maryland Historical Society.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 39° 17.84′ N, 76° 37.122′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. The marker is located at the corner of the building of the Maryland Historical Society. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 West Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Enoch Pratt House (here, next to this marker); H. Irvine Keyser (a few steps
Categories. • War of 1812 •
More. Search the internet for In Full Glory.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 22, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 22, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.