Crossville in DeKalb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Crossville
Crossville, once known as a little village, was named by James A. Copeland because of the area’s many crossroads. In the mid-1800s, mail was brought through Crossville from Rome, GA and Guntersville, AL by stagecoach. The first church was a Methodist Episcopal Church, Pine Bark Church (formed before War Between the States). The first school was built in the late 1800s at Bryant’s Chapel Church. The first post office was established in 1870. A.C. Copeland was postmaster. In 1888, G.W. Justice established the first business. In 1901, W.B. Jones installed machinery for cotton mills, and the first car came through Crossville. A government distillery was once in operation here. The first telephone exchange was by J.J. England who built the first and only hotel Crossville ever had. The first service station was operated by George Jones. Sam P. Smith, Crossville’s first doctor, traveled on horseback to see patients. Until 1914, only two stores and a few homes made up the town. The first bank opened in 1914 by N.W. Black & Boyce Raines.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Crossville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 17.239′ N, 85° 59.566′ W. Marker is in Crossville, Alabama, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Alabama Route 68) and Gaines Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. It is located beside the Crossville Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crossville AL 35962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs (approx. Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site (approx. 7.6 miles away); Collinsville Historic District (approx. 7.6 miles away); Fires and Floods (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Bethel United Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away); City of Boaz (approx. 11.6 miles away); King's Hill Skirmish (approx. 13½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 26, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.