Section in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Section
Section, Alabama is on a land where the Cherokee once hunted and lived. There were communities such as Kirby Creek, Gossets Hollow, and Fern Cliff. These communities came together to form the Town of Section. Pioneer settlers came in large numbers in 1862 to Section. Settlers were required to live on the land for five years before claiming the property as their own. Section was officially incorporated in August 1910. The town began an annual Labor Day Celebration in 1974, making it 36 years old in 2010.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Section.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. 34° 34.86′ N, 85° 59.26′ W. Marker is in Section, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is on Dutton Road east of Main Street (County Route 43), on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the Section Municipal Building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Section AL 35771, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Langston Robert Thomas and Elizabeth Scott, Sr. Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away); Friendship Park / The Decision That Saved the Sons of Scottsboro (approx. 6.1 miles away); Robert Thomas Scott, Sr. (approx. 6.1 miles away); Robert E. Jones, Jr. / Jones House (approx. 6˝ miles away); College Hill Historic District (approx. 6.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys (approx. 6.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 26, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2014, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.