Near Louisbourg in Cape Breton Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia — The Atlantic Provinces
Fortress of Louisbourg
La forteresse de Louisbourg
In 1713, France decided to found Louisbourg to defend her colonial and maritime interests in North America. As capital of the colony of Isle Royale and guardian the Gulf of Saint. Lawrence, it became the most important French fishing and commercial center in North America. The fortress was besieged and captured by British forces in 1745 and again in 1758. Its fortifications were demolished in 1760. In 1928, Louisbourg was designated a National Historic Site. Its reconstruction was begun in 1961 so that future generations seeing it might understand the role of the Fortress in our history.
La France résolut de fonder Louisbourg en 1713 pour la défense de ses intérêts en Amérique du Nord. Louisbourg devint la capitale de l'Isle Royale, la gardienne du golfe Saint-Laurent et le plus important port de pêche et de commerce de la France en Amérique du Nord. Les Anglais l'assiégèrent et s'en emparèrent en 1745 et, de nouveau, en 1758. Ils en démantelèrent les fortifications en 1760. En 1928, Louisbourg fut déclaré lieu historique national et, en 1961, on commença la reconstruction de la Forteresse
Erected 1976 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, French and Indian. In addition, it is included in the Acadian History, and the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1713.
Location. 45° 54.576′ N, 59° 59.053′ W. Marker is near Louisbourg, Nova Scotia, in Cape Breton Regional Municipality. Marker can be reached from Kennington Cove Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 Kennington Cove Road, Louisbourg, Nova Scotia B1C 2J2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lobster Fishery (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Fizel House (approx. 1.9 kilometers away); Marie Marguerite Rose (approx. 2 kilometers away); Slavery / Freedom (approx. 2 kilometers away); 19th-Century Lighthouse (approx. 2 kilometers away); First Lighthouse Tower (approx. 2 kilometers away); French Garrison at Louisbourg (approx. 2 kilometers away); First Lighthouse (approx. 2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisbourg.
More about this marker. This marker is located at the shuttle bus stop of the Fortress Louisbourg Visitors Centre.
Also see . . . Fortress Louisbourg - Wikipedia(Submitted on December 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on December 27, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.