Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Alexander Douglass House
was originally built circa 1760 on what is now South Broad Street as a one room, two story “shanty.” Alexander Douglass purchased it in 1769 and it was in that place that George Washington called a Council of War during the Revolutionary War Battles of Trenton in December of 1776. The two story front structure was added by Douglass ca 1800. The house remained in the Douglass family until 1852.
In 1876 the house endured its first move to Centre Street where it remained until 1924 when the City of Trenton acquired ownership and moved it to Mahlon Stacy Park. In 1972 it was moved to its current location in Mill Hill Park
The Alexander Douglass House is owned by the City of Trenton and operated by the Department of Recreation, Natural Resources and Culture. Its current restoration is funded by the City of Trenton, the New Jersey Historic Trust and the National Park Service.
Erected by City of Trenton.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1760.
Location. 40° 13.137′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08608, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexander Douglass House on the Move (here, next to this marker); Mill Hill Playhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Crossing the Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Mill Hill Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Trenton YMCA (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mill Hill Park (about 600 feet away); Historic Downtown Trenton (about 600 feet away); The Second Battle of Trenton (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
More about this marker. A photograph of the Alexander Douglass House appears on the left side of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 27, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.