Wilson in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845
Wilson Union Free School 1869
Erected 1976 by Wilson Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 43° 18.436′ N, 78° 49.595′ W. Marker is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street (New York State Route 425) and Seminary Street, on the left when traveling north on Lake Street. The marker is alongside the walkway to the front center entrance of Wilson Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 375 Lake Street, Wilson NY 14172, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tabor Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schooner Fleetwing (about 700 feet away); Lake Street and Young Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); First School House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pettit Street and Chestnut Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Log House Built in 1818 by Reuben Wilson Corner of Pettit and Bay Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845. The Wilson Collegiate Institute was established on this site on 25 January 1845, having been proposed by Luther Wilson, son of town founder Reuben Wilson. The land was donated by bachelor Simon Sheldon and citizens donated funds. The building was cobblestone, 40'x60', 4800 sq. ft., with classrooms and library on the first floor and an auditorium on the second floor. The library had over 300 books (predominantly literature, history and philosophy), a human skeleton, and about 300 mineral specimens. Male and female students received the same instruction. Some of the subjects taught were languages, natural science, philosophy, music, drawing and painting, and New York State teacher training. The Institute became financially untenable due to competition, which led the trustees to deed the Institute to the Union Free School District in 1869. The curriculum was expanded. Recess was replaced by marching, military drills, and calisthenics in 1894.
As the student body grew after the compulsory education
References: Croop, Donald J. Wilson Sketchbook, Wilson Historical Society, 1994. Townsend, Avis A. Images of America: Wilson, Arcadia Publishing, 2005.
Also see . . .
1. Town of Wilson - Government and Historical Society. (Submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Cobblestone Museum - Has information about cobblestone masonry. (Submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
3. Wilson Central Schools. (Submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Additional keywords. Cobblestone
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on December 28, 2014, by Russell Kropp of Dalzell, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.