Auburn in Lee County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original boundaries of the City of Auburn. In 1931, the City of Auburn donated this land for a larger post office. Congress gave $90,000 for its construction and the building was completed in 1933, while Levi Knapp was Postmaster. First class status was attained here in 1940 under Postmaster Homer Wright, and it served as the post office until 1991. It was at least the seventh location for town postal service.
The City of Auburn bought the building in 1992 for $375,000. In 1999, the City Council voted to renovate it as City Hall. It was dedicated in 2001. The building has a "Starved-Classical," symmetrical style, with pointed pediments, typical of Federal Depression architecture. These elements have been preserved through several additions and renovations.
Erected 2002 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the City of Auburn and the Auburn Heritage Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 32° 36.49′ N, 85° 28.822′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Alabama, in Lee County. Marker is at the intersection of Tichenor Avenue and North Gay Street, on the right when traveling east on Tichenor Avenue. Tichenor Avenue is one-way from west to east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 144 Tichenor Avenue, Auburn AL 36830, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Auburn 1865~Present / The "Loveliest Village" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Auburn United Methodist Church Founder's Chapel (about 700 feet away); Toomers Corner And The Bank Of Auburn (about 700 feet away); The Auburn GuardsAuburn - Alabama (about 800 feet away); The Crescent (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Auburn Guards Reviewed by Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Wilton Burton (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Auburn.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry on the City Hall. (Submitted on December 28, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 28, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.