Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Trinity Lutheran Seminary

 
 
Trinity Lutheran Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2012
1. Trinity Lutheran Seminary Marker
Inscription.  

The German Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, the first Lutheran theological seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains, began instruction under Pastor Wilhelm Schmidt in Canton in 1830. The seminary relocated to Columbus at this location in 1831. After becoming part of Capital University in 1850, it occupied temporary campuses before locating permanently on the National Road, east of Columbus, in 1876. There the seminary was known as the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary. In 1959, the seminary separated from Capital University. In 1978, it merged with the Hamma School of Theology of Wittenberg University, taking the name Trinity Lutheran Seminary. This united seminary was a significant harbinger of the formation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in 1988. The cornerstone of the first seminary building erected on this site in 1832 is located on the Trinity Lutheran Seminary campus in Bexley.


 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 57-25.)
 
Marker series.

Trinity Lutheran Seminary Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., May 27, 2012
2. Trinity Lutheran Seminary Marker
Looking north
This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 56.888′ N, 82° 59.889′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (U.S. 23) and Stimmel Street, on the right when traveling south on High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 671 South High Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Circa Mid 1888 (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Mary Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fred Holdridge and Howard Burns (approx. 0.2 miles away); Circa 1870 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bricks with Names (approx. mile away); Former Site of St. Mary's School and Convent (approx. mile away); Circa 1864 (approx. mile away); Lindey's (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .
1. History and Mission of Trinity Lutheran Seminary. (Submitted on December 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Ohio. (Submitted on December 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Trinity Lutheran Seminary.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement