Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Holy Angels Church
At the request of Bishop John Timon, C.M., the Oblates of Mary Immaculate established a new parish for the Diocese of Buffalo in 1852. Land was purchased in the area known as Prospect Hill. The Romanesque style church was built and dedicated on the present site in 1859. The church was later enlarged in 1875. Two Tiffany stained glass windows from the church were displayed during the Pan American Exposition in 1901. The church remains as an inspiring ediface of the west side community.
Erected 1998 by Holy Angles Parish, City of Buffalo, Fargo Estate Neighborhood Association, Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 42° 54.178′ N, 78° 53.36′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Porter Avenue and West Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Porter Avenue. Due to the bend of Porter Avenue at the church, the building commands the view of westbound traffic on Porter Avenue.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 348 Porter Avenue, Buffalo NY 14201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. D'Youville College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William G. Fargo Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Job's Last Stand (approx. 0.2 miles away); Job Hoisington Buffalo's 1812 War Hero (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Doughboy "Over the Top" to Victory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert "Frankie" Franklin (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's-on-the-Hill (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Religious Body in Buffalo (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
More about this marker. The figure at the top of the marker is the Buffalo History Museum building (formerly named the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society), which is the only surviving building from the 1901 Exposition.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 1, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.