Lander in Fremont County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Site of Fort McGraw
Site of Fort McGraw (sic)
Scouts & Trappers
1812 - 1835
Another marker, next to the Site of Fort McGraw marker, is currently missing, but its text is provided below:
In 1856 the United States Congress appropriated money to build the central division of the Fort Kearney-South Pass-Honey Lake Wagon Road from Nebraska to California. W.M.F. Magaw was appointed superintendent by the Secretary of the Interior. He was later removed for mismanagement and replaced by W.F. Lander, who staked a new route known as the Lander Cutoff from Gilbert Station, or Burnt Ranch, to City Rocks, Idaho. Winter of 1857-59 overtook the workers at St. Mary’s Station on the Oregon Trail. Frank Lowe, guide, led them to this location for winter quarters, officially named Fort Thompson, in honor of the incumbent U.S. Secretary of the Interior. Old timers called it Camp Magraw. The settlement above here, first known as Push Root, was renamed Lander by Lowe, in honor of his friend.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 42° 51.082′ N, 108° 41.771′ W. Marker is in Lander, Wyoming, in Fremont County. Marker is on State Highway 789 near Beebee Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lander WY 82520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Thompson or Camp Magraw (within shouting distance of this marker); Lander Valley Historical Sites (approx. 2 miles away); Lander's Mill (approx. 2.1 miles away); I.O.O.F. Building (approx. 2.1 miles away); IOOF Building - Golden Rule Store (approx. 2.1 miles away); Palace Pharmacy, Albany Hotel, US Post Office (approx. 2.1 miles away); Main Street (approx. 2.1 miles away); Lander Hotel (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lander.
More about this marker. This marker is located east of Lander, WY at a pullout on the north side of Highway 789.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.