Near New Martinsville in Wetzel County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Marshall County / Wetzel County
Formed, 1835, from Ohio and named for Chief Justice John Marshall. In Marshall County is Grave Creek Mound, first among remains left by the unknown race which lived in the Ohio Valley centuries before the white man came.
Formed in 1846 from Tyler. Named for Lewis Wetzel, the great frontiersman who, with his brothers during Indian days, ranged the settlements from their home in Marshall County throughout northern West Virginia.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 39° 43.199′ N, 80° 49.373′ W. Marker is near New Martinsville, West Virginia, in Wetzel County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 2 0.7 miles north of West Virginia Route 89, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Martinsville WV 26155, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this markerMason-Dixon Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Cedar Curve Cemetery / Funerals in the Early 1800s (approx. 3˝ miles away); Zachary Taylor (approx. 5.7 miles away); Levi Morgan (approx. 6 miles away); New Martinsville (approx. 6 miles away); Adena Burial Mound (approx. 6 miles away); Sardis Historic Town Pump (approx. 8.3 miles away in Ohio); Sardis Veterans Monument (approx. 8.8 miles away in Ohio). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Martinsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 11, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.