Buenos Aires, Argentina
Templo de Nuestra Señora del Pilar
Este historico templo de Ntra Sra del Pilar erigido por D. Juan de Narbona en terreno donado por el Capitan Valdez y Inclan fue comenzado en 1716 por los arquitectos religiosos jesuitas Bianchi y Primoli e inaugurado el 12 de Octubre de 1732 siendo Gobernador de estas Provincias el Mariscal D. Bruno M. de Zavala. Consagrado el 30 de Mayo de 1734 y agregado a S. Juan de Letran de Roma en 1783.
D. Fernando de Prieto y Pulido hizo donaction a la Iglesia del terreno que sirve de plaza.
En 1806 el General S. Liniers veló durante una noche implorando la protección divina para libertar a esta Ciudad de las tropas britanicas. Lo regentearon los Padres Recoletas hasta 1822. El 12 de Marzo de 1830 fue erigido en temple parroquial.
En 1934 quedó restaurado en su estilo primitive. El 14 de Octubre de 1934 partió de esta Iglesia la solemne procession del XXXII Congreso Eucaristico Internacional presidido por el Cardenal Eugenio Pacelli Secretario de S. Santidad. Fue elevada a la dignidad de Basilica por S.S. Pio XI el 12 de Marzo de 1936.
Fernando Prieto y Pulido made the donation to the Church of the land that serves as the plaza.
In 1806, General S. Liniers prayed all night, imploring for divine protection to free this city of British troops. The Recoleta Fathers operated the temple until 1822. On March 12, 1830, the temple was erected as a parish temple.
In 1934, the temple was restored to its primitive style. On October 14, 1934, the solemn procession of the XXXII International Eucharistic Congress presided over by Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli, Secretary of His Holiness, departed from this church. The temple was elevated to the dignified status of a basilica by His Holiness Pio XI on March 12, 1936.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 35.212′ S, 58° 23.519′ W. Marker is in Buenos Aires. Marker can be reached from Calle Junín Nº 1898. just north of Guido, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buenos Aires C1113, Argentina. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. La Recoleta Cemetery (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); El Obelisco de Buenos Aires (approx. 2.1 kilometers away); La Librería de Avila (approx. 3.1 kilometers away).
Regarding Templo de Nuestra Señora del Pilar. The church is one of the most beautiful works of colonial architecture in Buenos Aires. It is the second oldest church in the city. In 1740 the church provided the first town clock to residents.
The Buenos Aires church was named for the first church in history to be dedicated to the Virgin Mary, located in Zaragoza, Spain. The donor of the Argentine church, Juan de Narbona, was from Zaragoza and the church was named in honor of his hometown.
The name of the church, Nuestra Señora del Pilar, comes from the tradition of St. James, who was troubled by his lack of success preaching the Gospel in Spain in 40 C.E. The Virgin Mary appeared to him as he prayed by the River Ebro. She told him to build a church in her honor and gave him a pillar of jasper stone and a small wooden statue of herself.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 456 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 12, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.