Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Evans City in Butler County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

George Washington

 
 
George Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, January 25, 2015
1. George Washington Marker
Inscription.  Returning to Virginia from his historic visit at Fort Le Boeuf, Washington used the adjacent Venango Indian Trail. In this locality, on Dec. 27, 1753, he narrowly escaped death, being shot at by an Indian less than fifteen paces from him.
 
Erected 1970 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative Americans. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is December 27, 1753.
 
Location. 40° 47.205′ N, 80° 2.048′ W. Marker is near Evans City, Pennsylvania, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of Evans City Road (Pennsylvania Route 68) and Ash Stop Road, on the right when traveling east on Evans City Road. Located at Forward Township Municipal Building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Evans City PA 16033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major George Washington (about 700 feet away, measured
George Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, January 25, 2015
2. George Washington Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in a direct line); Rapp's Seat Vineyard Hill (approx. 4.7 miles away); Harmonist Cemetery (approx. 4.8 miles away); Harmonist - Ziegler Barn (approx. 4.9 miles away); Harmony (approx. 5 miles away); 1806 Plains Presbyterian Church (approx. 5 miles away); Harmony Mennonites (approx. 5.1 miles away); Cranberry Township Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker was previously missing, it has since been reinstalled.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 542 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 25, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=80462

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022