Near Fort Washington in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Water Battery underwent two major changes after 1872. The gatehouse and other buildings were removed and construction of earthworks to surround the fort began. Four platforms for 15-inch Rodman guns and three magazines were completed before the government interest and funding waned.
The Endicott System in the 1890s brought the construction of Battery White, the concrete structure that is visible now.
Guns in the Water Battery could ricochet, or bounce, shot across the river surface and hit a ship near the waterline causing severe hull damage.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 38° 42.663′ N, 77° 2.108′ W. Marker is near Fort Washington, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from Fort Washington Road, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13551 Fort Washington Road, Fort Washington MD 20744, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shot and Shell (a few steps from this marker); Caponiere (within shouting distance of this marker); Minefields (within shouting distance of this marker); Counterscarp Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cisterns (within shouting distance of this marker); New Guns for an Old Fort (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Northwest Demi-Bastion (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Water Battery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Washington.
More about this marker. The lower portion of the marker displays an example of ricochet firing against a sailing ship and a drawing of a 15-inch Rodman.
In the upper right is a diagram of the water battery with several important points indicated:
The Water Battery held many structures to support the Fort's operation:
(1) Magazines - stored ammunition
(2) Storehouse - housed gun carriages in peacetime
(3) Stables - housed workhorses
(4) Saddlers shop - where leather equipment was repaired
(6) Blacksmith shop - where metal items were repaired and manufactured
(7) Gatehouse - included two guard rooms and a bridge over the ditch
Also see . . . Fort Washington. National Park Service site. (Submitted on May 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,142 times since then and 174 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 24, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.