Tuscumbia in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Trenholm High School
Formal education for Tuscumbia’s African American children began in 1870 at the Freedman School taught by Judge Wingo and his daughter in a church at the foot of the hill. In July 1877, the Osborne Colored Academy was established by African Americans and named in honor of Sandy Osborne, one of the trustees and a barber at the Franklin House Hotel. Tuscumbia Colored Public School opened in 1887 with Pleas Barton, a former Osborne Academy trustee, as principal. The Public School’s first academic year concluded with graduation exercises in 1888.
Erected 2011 by Trenholm Alumni Association Inc., and Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1877.
Location. 34° 43.549′ N, 87° 41.827′ W. Marker is in Tuscumbia, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on Trenholm Memorial Drive east of South High Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscumbia AL 35674, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “William Mansel Long, Sr. Memorial Drive” (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Shady Dell (approx. ¼ mile away); Locust Hill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jackson's Military Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sacred Tears (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cold Water Falls (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tuscumbia Big Spring (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscumbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 885 times since then and 179 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2015, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.