Colonel Fitzgerald was a close friend of General George Washington and he was his secretary and aide-de-camp during the American Revolution after the war. Colonel Fitzgerald served as mayor of the City of Alexandria (1787) and collector of the port (1798). He was a founder of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church.
Erected 1976 by American Irish Bicentennial Committe, The Colonel John Fitzgerald Division of the Ancient Order of the Hiberians, The George Washington Chapter of the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 38° 48.251′ N, 77° 2.412′ W. Marker is in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and Union Street on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Alexandria Archaeology Museum (a few steps from this
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.