Halstead in Harvey County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Sweezy House
Erected in March 1873 by G. W. Sweezy
It was a two story frame building 32 feet by 42 feet used as a commercial hotel and known as
The Sweezy Hotel
After fifty nine years of use, the building was torn down in 1932.
Erected 1977 by Harvey County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1873.
Location. 38° 0.259′ N, 97° 30.372′ W. Marker is in Halstead, Kansas, in Harvey County. It is at the intersection of Main Street and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Main Street, Halstead KS 67056, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Central Kansas and in Greater Wichita. It is also in the American Midwest, in the Corn Belt, on the prairies, and on the Southern Plains. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Louisiana Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: The Old Hardware Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Lt. Eldo "Pop" Steele (about 600 feet away); Halstead Santa Fe Depot (about 600 feet away); Scout Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Horse and Buggy Doctor (approx. 1.6 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Halstead.
Also see . . . History of Halstead, Kansas. City of Halsted entry (Submitted on March 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2024. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. This page has been viewed 543 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Reynoldsburg, Ohio.

