Bladensburg in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Railroad History in Bladensburg
On April 29, 1851, Bladensburg once again witnessed railroad history. On that day, a railroad car powered by electricity from batteries (in a sense, a locomotive) traveled from Washington to Bladensburg and back again. This first electric railroad car was the invention of Dr. Charles Grafton Page, senior examiner for the U.S. Patent Office, professor of chemistry and pharmacy, and public treasurer.
Text with far upper-right photo: The very early B & O Railroad locomotive named
Text with upper-right portraite: Charles Grafton Page Text with middle photo: The B & O Railroad station in nearby Hyattsville Text with middle-right illustration: B & O Railroad regulations for the 1835 opening of its "new" Washington line
Text within the middle-right illustration: Opening of the Washington Rail Road
The Committee of Arrangments for opening the Washington Rail Road respectfully inform the invited guests that they have adopted the following regulations to be observed on the occasion.
1. Every gentleman must present his ticket before taking his seat in a Car.
2. Gentlemen will be permitted to introduce not more than ONE LADY. This regulation is rendered indispensable by the limited number of seats.
3. The Cars will leave the Depot in Charles Street at NINE o'clock PRECISELY.
4. It is requested that no persons leave the Cars until the arrival of the party at Washington.
5. The party will leave the Depot at Washington at FOUR o'clock PRECISELY.
6. The first two cars are reserved for the Executive of Maryland, Members of the Legislature of Maryland and the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore and other Public Functionaries.
7. Ladies and Gentleman in returning are requested to
Text with lower-right drawing: Page's electric locomotive
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 38° 56.024′ N, 76° 56.266′ W. Marker is in Bladensburg, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Annapolis Road (Maryland Route 450) and 46th Street. Marker is in Bladensburg Waterfront Park, .2 miles south of the entrance at this intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bladensburg MD 20710, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bladensburg Floods (1742-1954) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joshua Barney's Barge and the Chesapeake Flotilla (about 300 feet away); The First Telegraph Line (1844) (about 300 feet away); Colonial Ropemaking (about 400 feet away); Encampment of Coxey's Army (1894) (about 500 feet away); Duels and the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds (about 600 feet away); The Incidental Cause of the Star-Spangled Banner (1814) (about 600 feet away); Dinosaur Alley (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bladensburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 8, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,589 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 8, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on June 8, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 4. submitted on July 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 8, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.