Helvetia in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Erected 1980 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 38° 42.289′ N, 80° 11.914′ W. Marker is in Helvetia, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Mill Creek Road (Helvetia-Adolph Road) (County Route 46) east of Helvetia-Pickens Road (County Route 45), on the left when traveling west. It is at the community hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Helvetia WV 26224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Helvetia Old Sulphur Spring (approx. 9.8 miles away); The Springhouse (approx. 9.9 miles away); Webster County / Upshur County (approx. 10.4 miles away); Cleveland (approx. 10.6 miles away); Camp Elkwater (approx. 10.6 miles away); Elkwater / Col. J. A. Washington (approx. 10.6 miles away); Hacker Valley (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Regarding Helvetia. The Helvetia Village Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. “After the end of the Civil War, a group of Swiss and German-speaking immigrants calling themselves the Grütliverein formed in Brooklyn, New York. The members agreed that they would all emigrate to another section of the country together when the time was right.
“A member of the society named Isler surveyed large swaths of the eastern West Virginia mountains for a Washington-based firm, and reported back to the society on the richness of the country. A committee of six men was assembled, and left Brooklyn by rail on October 15, 1869. They arrived at Clarksburg and began the difficult work of traveling by foot over the mountains.
“Because of the low cost of the land, all of the settlers were able to buy their own tracts, ranging from a small house lot to hundreds of acres. An area of 100 acres (0.40 km sq) was set aside at the center of the community and laid off into lots, which were sold to skilled tradesmen as an incentive.
“At the beginning of 1871, there were thirty-two people living in the community. A new arrival in that year, C.E. Lutz, became the local land agent and wrote advertisements in English and German for papers across the country extolling the virtues of the settlement. New settlers came from various parts of the United States and Canada, and some immigrated directly from Switzerland” (Submitted on April 8, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 8, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of Helvetia in spring, summer or fall • Photos of Helvetia in its heyday • Can you help?