Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867

 
 
1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 16, 2015
1. 1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 Marker
Inscription.  
In appreciation of
1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867
Who came to Texas from New Jersey
in 1852 and founded Uvalde in
May 1855

 
Erected 1934 by Uvalde Rotary Club.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1855.
 
Location. 29° 12.89′ N, 99° 47.547′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of North Park Street and West Leona Street, on the right when traveling north on North Park Street. Located in Pioneer Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. King Fisher (within shouting distance of this marker); John Nance Garner House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Nance Garner Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Judge John Nance Garner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Schwartz House (approx. ¼ mile away); Uvalde Methodist Church
1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 Monument image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, April 16, 2015
2. 1830 - Reading Wood Black - 1867 Monument
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. ¼ mile away); Original Site of Uvalde High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Uvalde (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on a large carved stone monument.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 286 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=82448

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2021