Near Monterville in Webster County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Webster County / Randolph County
Webster County. Formed, 1860, from Braxton, Nicholas, Randolph. Named for Daniel Webster. Webster County is noted for its fine mountain scenery. Its forest produced the tree that was the largest hardwood at the Chicago World’s Fair, 1893.
Randolph County. Formed, 1787, from Harrison. Named for Edmund Jennings Randolph, Virginia statesman and soldier. Largest county in the State. Federal dominance of the Tygart’s Valley in the Civil War largely determined control of West Virginia.
Erected 1972 by West Virginia Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 38° 32.637′ N, 80° 11.709′ W. Marker is near Monterville, West Virginia, in Webster County. Marker is on West Virginia Route 15, 6 miles west of Monterville, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Webster Springs WV 26288, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of Big Lime (approx. 6.3 miles away); Mingo Flats (approx. 8.6 miles away); Valley Head (approx. 8.6 miles away); The Conley Graves (approx. 9 miles away); Lee's Headquarters (approx. 10.4 miles away); Pocahontas County / Randolph County (approx. 10.8 miles away); Camp Elkwater (approx. 10.8 miles away); Elkwater / Col. J. A. Washington (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 277 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.