Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Collierville United Methodist Church
Sanctuary on the Square
In 1900, members purchase a lot on N. Rowlett for $250 for a new facility. Construction cost, including the stained glass windows ordered from France, was $5,000. The building fronted on N. Rowlett featured bead board wainscoting and ceiling with the gas light fixtures. The first service was held January 15, 1901 and at the September dedication that year the offering was more than enough to pay off the mortgage of $1,800.
In 1950, an educational annex was added on the south and the front entrance was moved to Center Street. In 1954, the congregation bought 15 acres on Poplar Avenue and built a fellowship hall. More room was needed and classrooms at the back (north side) of the original Sanctuary were removed and more pews added. More activities had to be moved to Poplar and after several more building phases a new 1400 seat sanctuary
The Methodists resolved to retain the Sanctuary on the Square and to preserve their presence in the heart of the town. The Sanctuary is lovingly maintained and is used for weddings, funerals, special events and regular Sunday services.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 35° 2.539′ N, 89° 39.942′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Center Street and North Rowlett Street, on the right when traveling south on North Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 N Center St, Collierville TN 38017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Collierville, Tenn. (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Collierville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wigfall Grays (about 300 feet away); Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away); Presbyterian Church of Collierville (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Collierville (about 600 feet away); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
Also see . . . Collierville United Methodist Church. (Submitted on February 11, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 24, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.