Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Merton in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Baptist Church Of Merton

 
 
First Baptist Church Of Merton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, October 8, 2012
1. First Baptist Church Of Merton Marker
Inscription.  This is the former site of the First Baptist Church of Merton founded August 31, 1843 with nine members. This edifice, erected in 1855, is of historic architecture of Greek Revival with Colonial features. It is a selection of the well-known Historical American Buildings Survey.

The bell, hung in 1886, formerly called people to public worship. It is now rung on Memorial day and other special occasions.

When the church moved to its present site at N65, W28217 Hickory Hill Drive, the Village of Merton purchased this building in 2009 for use as a community center.
 
Erected 2012 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 16-02.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
 
Location. 43° 8.697′ N, 88° 18.408′ W. Marker is in Merton, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Main Street south of Hunington Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6996 Main Street, Merton WI 53056, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker
Village of Merton Community Center image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, October 8, 2012
2. Village of Merton Community Center
Click or scan to see
this page online
, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named First Baptist Church Of Merton (here, next to this marker); Martin C. Weber, Sr. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Village of Merton (approx. 0.3 miles away); Plainview School No. 4 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Beaumont Hop House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Town of Lisbon (approx. 3.2 miles away); North Lake (approx. 3.2 miles away); Sixteen School (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Merton.
 
Also see . . .  HABS Record - Merton Baptist Church, Merton, Waukesha, WI. The Historical American Buildings Survey record for this building. Includes one photo, several schematics of the church, and two pages of notes. (Submitted on October 25, 2012.) 
 
First Baptist Church Of Merton image. Click for full size.
Historic American Building Survey, circa 1934
3. First Baptist Church Of Merton
This image, of uncertain vintage but prior to the HABS notes of 1934, shows the church before it was substantially modified. Using a more opionated tone than is perhaps usually found in such notes, the HABS survey preparer noted, "...Today the building has lost some of its original identity. The majestic doorway is boarded up. The building has been raised, a Sunday School being placed below it. An off-center entrance has been built. If ever a building has been desecrated, this one has been...".
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on April 28, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 25, 2012, by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on October 25, 2012. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=82730

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2021