LaFayette in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The Georgia General Assembly authorized constructing an academy in Walker County in 1835. Chattooga Academy derived its name from the name of the area's original settlement, Chattooga or Chattoogaville, and was later called LaFayette Academy. Completed in 1836 on land donated by Spencer Stewart Marsh, Chattooga Academy is believed to be Georgia's oldest remaining brick schoolhouse. Built for about $800, the building replaced a log cabin school and consists of one large room on each floor with a chimney at each end. The bricks were manufactured in Rock Spring.
Before Lafayette Presbyterian Church was built south of the school, area residents organizing the
Spelling, grammar, reading, geography, philosophy and ancient language comprised the curriculum. A Presbyterian minister served as the school's first teacher. Boys and girls attended the school. City leaders decided in 1849 to build a Female Academy nearby, and the Chattooga Academy building became the Male Academy. The Female Academy building was wood, painted white and had several windows; in June 1864, Union troops dismantled the Female Academy building and built a fortification with the wood. The brick building and a large two-story, frame building built northwest of the school in 1897 functioned as a school, called Lafayette Academy, for area children until 1921, when a new school was built.
In the 1920s, the building was renovated and became a meeting place for Lafayette women's clubs for many years. The windows and doors were replaced and the interior remodeled extensively during the renovation; however, the building's exterior appears much as it did before the alterations. By 1925, the building was named after John B. Gordon, who had attended the academy as a child and went on to serve as a Confederate general, U.S. senator and Georgia governor. The
The LaFayette Area Chamber of Commerce located in the building in 1971. In the 1990s, the City of LaFayette used the building as an office and community meeting facility. The building is listed as Chattooga Academy on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail. (Marker Number #1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 34° 42.532′ N, 85° 16.838′ W. Marker is in LaFayette, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (Georgia Route 1) north of Wardlaw Street. This marker has been paired with another marker, both of which are covered by a canopy. It is located in a community park and is situated midway between the Chattooga Academy and the Marsh House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 North Main Street, La Fayette GA 30728, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Chattooga Academy - John B. Gordon Hall (here, next to this marker); The Marsh House (here, next to this marker); Bragg's Headquarters Shell Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); General LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker County (within shouting distance of this marker); John B. Gordon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Army of Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle of LaFayette (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaFayette.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Chattooga Academy.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 20, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 9. submitted on November 20, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 10. submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.