Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The First Lee House

 
 
The First Lee House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judith Barber, February 5, 2013
1. The First Lee House Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1869 by James Lee, Jr. (1832–1905), lawyer, riverman and leader in the development of Memphis, the first Lee House was designed by architect Joseph Willis. In this home of Italianate-Victorian design also lived James Lee, Sr. (1808-1889), who in 1866 founded the Lee Line with its home port at Memphis. Their packets and “floating palace” excursion boats plied the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers between Cincinnati and New Orleans.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4E 71.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. 35° 8.813′ N, 90° 2.832′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Adams Avenue west of North 4th Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 239 Adams Ave, Memphis TN 38103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Let Freedom Ring (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eugene Magevney
The First Lee House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judith Barber, February 5, 2013
2. The First Lee House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); 1862 Post Office (about 400 feet away); Forrest's Early Home (about 500 feet away); St. Peter Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Forrest and the Memphis Slave Trade (about 700 feet away); Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Shelby County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=82864

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 26, 2022