Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Deery Inn

 
 
Old Deery Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
1. Old Deery Inn Marker
Inscription.  
Built shortly after 1785 by William Deery. Stopping place for many distinguished travelers of early days, Andrew Jackson, James K. Polk, the Marquis de Lafayette, Prince Louis Phillipe, Andrew Johnson and others enjoyed its hospitality. It operated as an inn until shortly before 1930.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1A 33.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson, the Former U.S. Presidents: #11 James K. Polk, the Former U.S. Presidents: #17 Andrew Johnson, and the Tennessee Historical Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1785.
 
Location. 36° 31.989′ N, 82° 19.557′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Bristol Highway (State Road 126) west of Anderson Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blountville TN 37617, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson Townhouse (a few steps from this marker); a different
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker also named Old Deery Inn (a few steps from this marker); Ralph Blizard (a few steps from this marker); Brick Kitchen (within shouting distance of this marker); 1840 Smokehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Slave Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); King Ironworks Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Fain Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
 
Also see . . .  Deery Inn. Historic Sullivan, Archives and Tourism website entry (Submitted on August 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 
 
Wide view of the Old Deery Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, July 15, 2011
2. Wide view of the Old Deery Inn Marker
Originally built in 1785, with continual additions and renovations, the Old Deery Inn has been restored and is open to the public as a museum. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 934 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=82955

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 16, 2024