“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


(Burns-Klein House)

Splitrock (Burns-Klein House) Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, July 4, 2014
1. Splitrock (Burns-Klein House) Texas Historical Marker

In 1891, Thomas F. Burns bought 3 ¾ acres of the Jones and Sedwick property along the west bank of Shoal Creek. Burns, a Scottish immigrant, married Arbanna J. Nelson in Travis County in 1876. Property records and lumber marked “Sutor & Co.” date his house to circa 1892. Thomas, Arbanna and six children lived here in 1900. Thomas was listed as a stone cutter and owner of a marble shop. He added an additional acre to his homestead in 1901. Thomas’ son, Frank C. Burns, owned the Capitol City Marble Co. at 211 W. 6th Street.

In 1911, Thomas Burns sold the property to Hippolyt Dittlinger, owner of Dittlinger Roller Mills in New Braunfels. His niece, Anita Dittlinger Quinlan, and her husband, James, lived here with their three children from 1912-39. In 1939, the Quinlans moved to Fredericksburg and subdivided land surrounding the house into eight city lots on the east side of Splitrock Avenue (later Wooldridge Drive). In 1945, Anita sold the property to Joe H. Klein, Jr., and his wife, Jayne Linville Klein. The 1 ½-story frame house is a vernacular center passage dwelling, designed with three rooms on each side
Splitrock (Burns-Klein House) Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, July 4, 2014
2. Splitrock (Burns-Klein House) Marker
National Register of Historic Places and Austin Landmark Markers
of the hallway. Stairs provided access to the attic and dormer bedrooms. Originally, the east side of the house, looking toward the city, was the front. When Splitrock Avenue became a designated street in Pemberton Heights, primary access was reversed and the west side became the front. The scenic property on a bluff above the creek includes numerous centuries-old live oak trees, the largest of which is a city of Austin registered tree. The house has remained largely unaltered, even as the city has expanded far beyond its once-rural setting.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2013
Marker is property of the State of Texas

Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17636.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 30° 17.935′ N, 97° 45.05′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Wooldridge Drive north of Northwood Road, on the right when traveling north. The marker stands in the front yard of the house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2815 Wooldridge Drive, Austin TX 78703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Seiders Oaks (approx. half a mile away); Pemberton Castle (Fisher-Gideon House) (approx. half a mile away); Jane Yelvington McCallum
Splitrock (Burns-Klein House) Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, July 4, 2014
3. Splitrock (Burns-Klein House) Marker
(approx. 0.6 miles away); Edmund and Emily Miller House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacob Leser House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Malcolm and Margaret Badger Reed Estate (approx. 0.6 miles away); Penn and Nellie Wooldridge House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Congregation Beth Israel (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Regarding Splitrock. Splitrock is an Austin Landmark. It is a Contributing Building in the Old West Austin Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 9, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 9, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 24, 2021