Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Plaza de las Armas

 
 
Plaza de las Armas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
1. Plaza de las Armas Marker
Inscription.  The largest plaza within the Spanish presidio of San Agustin del Tucson, founded in 1775, this area was originally used for military formations and drill. After construction of the first Pima County courthouse (1870), the name was changed to Court Plaza. Here traditional fiestas, circuses and other public events have been held since the 18th century.

Spanish:
Plaza de las Armas
La plaza más grande dentro del presidio español de San Agustín del Tucsón, fundado en el año de 1775, este espacio era usado originalmente para formaciones y adiestramiento de los militares. Después de la construcción del primer tribunal (1870), el nombre fue cambiado a Plaza de la Corte. Fue allí donde las fiestas tradicionales, los circos y otros eventos públicos se llevaron a cabo desde el siglo XVIII.
 
Erected by Tucson Historical Committe and Arizona Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic AmericansNotable Places
Plaza de las Armas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, January 1, 2010
2. Plaza de las Armas Marker
Spanish translation of marker text.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
 
Location. 32° 13.354′ N, 110° 58.436′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is located in the southwest corner of, what is now called, El Presidio Plaza. El Presidio Plaza is between West Alameda Street and West Pennington Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Allande Footbridge (a few steps from this marker); Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge (a few steps from this marker); Vietnam War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Pennington Footbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Exchange at the Presidio (within shouting distance of this marker); Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church in Tucson (within shouting distance of this marker); Pima County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
El Presido Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, 3
3. El Presido Plaza
Marker is on wall at right in photo. Pima County courthouse is in background. Caption on sidewalk reads: Location of wall Presidio San Agustin del Tucson 1775-1856
Plaza de las Armas image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, June 15, 2011
4. Plaza de las Armas
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,427 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on May 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.   4. submitted on January 18, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=83209

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021