Near West Blocton in Bibb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Piper / Coleanor
The town of Piper was established in 1901 a half mile northeast of here by the Little Cahaba Coal Company, named for Oliver Hazzard Perry Piper, a partner of industrialist Henry F. DeBardeleben. Two coal mines were opened in 1901 and 1903. The first was sealed in 1935 due to fire. Piper was one of the larger mining towns in the Cahaba
The Blocton-Cahaba Coal Company was incorporated in September 1900 and soon opened a coal mine while founding the town of Coleanor. Principal stockholders included H.C. Reynolds, W.B. Reynolds, E.D. Reynolds and J.B. Wadsworth. Adjacent though separated by a deep ravine, the towns of Piper and Coleanor were connected by a railroad trestle and a swinging bridge. In 1915, 200 miners and other workers were employed at Coleanor. Both towns were occupied by the Alabama National Guard in 1934 during a strike organized by the United Mine Workers Union. The Coleanor Post Office operated from 1901 to 1942. Following World War II, the Coleanor mine was closed and nothing remains of either town that once boasted a combined population of over 2,500 people.
Erected 2000 by Former Residents of Piper & Coleanor, The Cahaba Trace Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 33° 5.116′ N, 87° 2.662′ W. Marker is near West Blocton, Alabama, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Cahaba River Drive (County Road 24) and Piper Road, on the right when traveling south on Cahaba River Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Blocton AL 35184, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belle Ellen (approx. 3.1 miles away); Blocton / Blocton Coke Ovens (approx. 4.2 miles away); West Blocton, Alabama (approx. 4.7 miles away); Six Mile Male & Female Academy Site (approx. 5.8 miles away); Site of Six Mile Male And Female Academy (approx. 6 miles away); Absalom Pratt House (approx. 6 miles away); Bibb Naval Furnaces Brierfield Furnaces (approx. 6 miles away); Bibb Furnace (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Blocton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,425 times since then and 90 times this year. Last updated on May 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1. submitted on October 24, 2010, by Julia Frost of Hoover, Alabama. 2. submitted on August 14, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker's reverse. • A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?