Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Teatro Carmen

 
 
Teatro Carmen Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, December 30, 2009
1. Teatro Carmen Marker
Inscription.  
Named for its founder, Carmen Soto Vásquez, this was one of the first theaters in Tucson devoted exclusively to the presentation of dramatic works in Spanish. From the opening night, May 20, 1915, with a performance of "Cerebro y Corazón" by the Mexican playwright Teresa Farias de Isassi, Teatro Carmen served as an important cultural center. Hundreds of performances were staged by local and internationally known companies from Spain and Mexico. After 1922, it became a cinema, meeting hall, ballroom, boxing arena, garage and in 1937, the Pilgrim Rest Elks Lodge #601.

[Spanish marker]
Teatro Carmen
Nombrado por su fundador, Carmen Soto Vásquez, este fué de los primeros teatros tucsonenses dedicados exclusivamente á la presentacion de obras dramaticales en español. Desde su apertura la noche del 20 de Mayo de 1915 con la obra “Cerebro y Corazón” por la escritora mexicana Teresa Farias de Isassi, Teatro Carmen sirvió como un importante centro cultural en que centenares de funciones fueron presentados por compañías internacionales de México y España. Después de 1922, llego
Teatro Carmen Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, December 30, 2009
2. Teatro Carmen Marker
Spanish translation of marker text.
Click or scan to see
this page online
a ser un cine, salón de baile, arena de boxeo, garage y en 1937, Logia de los Elks.
 
Erected 1985 by Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicHispanic AmericansNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 20, 1789.
 
Location. 32° 12.983′ N, 110° 58.397′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is on South Meyer Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 380 South Meyer Avenue, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cushing Street (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Tiradito (about 400 feet away); Carrillo Intermediate School (about 500 feet away); McCormick Street (about 700 feet away); Stone Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carlos Ygnacio Velasco House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sosa-Carillo-Frémont House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scott Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
More about this marker. Teatro Carmen is #13 on the Presidio Trail Walking Tour.
The description reads:
“This adobe building named for the wife of its builder, Carmen Soto Vasquez, has an interesting and checkered history. Opened in 1915, it began as a theater devoted to staging dramatic works in Spanish, then it became a movie theater, boxing arena, garage, and Elks Lodge.”
 
Regarding Teatro Carmen. Carmen Soto de Vásquez, founded Teatro Carmen, a Spanish-language theatre in Tucson's barrio. It became the
Teatro Carmen image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, December 30, 2009
3. Teatro Carmen
most elegant theatre of its era from 1914 to 1922. The theatre provided a venue for the performance of outstanding Spanish language literary productions as well as operas, musicals, and melodramas. This colorful building still stands in one of Tucson's oldest barrios.
 
Also see . . .  Carmen Soto Vasquez. Find A Grave entry (Submitted on December 6, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Teatro Carmen
This theater was featured in "Boys on the Side" with Whoopi Goldberg.
    — Submitted January 2, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,243 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on May 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 2, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=83233

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 11, 2022