Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clanton in Chilton County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Walnut Creek United Methodist Church

Established 1820

 
 
Walnut Creek United Methodist Church 	 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, February 26, 2012
1. Walnut Creek United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Arthur Love, a charter member, was first pastor. Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church. Became Methodist Protestant, 1828. Changed to Methodist Church, 1939. Affiliated with United Methodist, 1968. In the original church built of logs, Judge James Q. Smith, Montgomery, in 1869 presided at first court held in Baker Co. (now Chilton). Cir. 1875, a frame building replaced log church. Present brick building erected, 1935. Walnut Creek U. M. C. has always maintained a progressive Sunday School.
 
Erected 1977 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
 
Location. 32° 51.274′ N, 86° 35.913′ W. Marker is in Clanton, Alabama, in Chilton County. Marker is on County Route 458, on the right when traveling north. Located near the Walnut Creek Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clanton AL 35046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chilton County Veterans Memorial (approx. 2 miles away); City of Clanton (approx. 2.1 miles away); Chilton County History
Walnut Creek United Methodist Church 	 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, February 26, 2012
2. Walnut Creek United Methodist Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 2.1 miles away); Central Alabama Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Chilton County Training School 1924-1969 (approx. 6.4 miles away); Scandinavian Cemetery (approx. 7.7 miles away); Thorsby Remembers Our Veterans (approx. 7.9 miles away); Thorsby: A Scandinavian Colony in the South (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clanton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 1, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on May 15, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 1, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=83268

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 29, 2022