Columbia Rosenwald School
The program began in 1917, and by the 1920s, there was a strong need for an African American school in East Columbia. County officials utilized the Rosenwald Grant, as well as local funds and contributions from the African American community, to establish schools in both East and West Columbia. The building at this site, which opened in East Columbia in 1921, served children whose school had previously been sharing space with a nearby church. The school's first teacher was Mrs. P.A. Franklin.
Columbia Rosenwald School included grades one through seven, adding an eighth grade by the 1940s. Also during the 1940s, the nearby Green Hill African American School consolidated with Columbia Rosenwald School. Students often attended classes
Columbia Rosenwald School closed in 1949 after the West and East Columbia School Districts consolidated. The building here stands as an important reminder of early African American educational efforts in the area and as a symbol of the philanthropic activity that made it possible.
Erected 2007 by Columbia Historical Museum and Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13949.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 29° 8.593′ N, 95° 38.753′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from S. Broad St. just from E. Clay St.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Capitol of the Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia - The First Capital of The Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away); Columbia United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Columbia Cemetery
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
More. Search the internet for Columbia Rosenwald School.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on May 15, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.