Skinner Macaroni Building 1914-1915
The Old Market Historic Walking Tour
Increasing business led the Skinner Manufacturing Company to build this six-story brick building in 1914. Designed by architect Harry Lawrie, it was doubled in size with the addition of 66 feet to the east a year later. The new building was Skinner's third plant. Brothers Paul F. and Lloyd M. Skinner, who used national advertising as early as 1912, founded it in 1911. Skinner was a leading manufacturer of macaroni and cereal products. Omaha was close to the Durum wheat supply, the only wheat that can be used for a top quality product. Skinner conserved wheat during World War I by originating Kornroni, an economical macaroni product made from corn and wheat. In 1925, it developed Raisin Bran to supplement revenues, and in 1927, it introduced Cheesroni, one of the first macaroni and cheese products. Skinner moved to a new Omaha plant in 1961, and Commercial Optical Company occupied the building soon after. In 1995, Emil Vohoska completed 74 new living spaces here, transforming the building into the Macaroni Apartments.
Erected by The Old Market.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic
Location. 41° 15.258′ N, 95° 56.062′ W. Marker is in Omaha, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of 14th Street and Jackson Street, on the left when traveling south on 14th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1323 Jackson Street, Omaha NE 68102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Omaha Bolt, Nut and Screw Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 (about 400 feet away); Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887 (about 600 feet away); Baum Iron Company Building 1880 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Morse Coe Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Woodmen of the World (approx. ¼ mile away); Millard Block 1880-1881 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Omaha.
Also see . . . The Old Market, Omaha NE. (Submitted on May 15, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.