Paramus in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Terhune-Van Dien House
Built about 1795 by Henry S. Terhune in “Old Paramus” on land owned by the Terhune family since 1707. the two-hundred acre farm extended for over a mile between the Saddle River and Sprout Brook. In 1853 the house was inherited by Terhune’s grandson, John Zabriskie Van Dien, and was owned by his family for three generations. Alterations to the farmhouse have been made over the years
In New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1987 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 100.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Communications • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1795.
Location. 40° 56.007′ N, 74° 5.46′ W. Marker is in Paramus, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Paramus Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Terhune-Gardner House (approx. half a mile away); George Washington Kneeling in Prayer (approx. 0.6 miles away); Tower and Water Wheel of Easton Gardens (approx. 0.6 miles away); Red Mill – Paramus (approx. 0.6 miles away); Naugle House (approx. one mile away); Dunkerhook Road (approx. one mile away); Stephen T. Zabriskie House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Jewish War Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paramus.
Also see . . . Bergen County Historical Society. Society website entry (Submitted on June 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 17, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,711 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 15, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.